The Queen Victoria Young Head portrait design ran from 1871 to 1887 inclusively.
Two dates are noted as being the absolute rare dates in this series and, in premium quality, almost impossible to find.
They being this coin, the 1887 Melbourne Mint Young Head Shield Sovereign. And the 1886 Melbourne Mint Young Head Shield Sovereign.
This coin offers the collector extraordinary quality and extreme rarity.
It is an affirmation on the quality of this coin that its former owners include gold coin dealer Robert Jaggard (held as part of his personal collection), Paul Terry ( a consummate gold coin collector) and Tom Hadley of Quartermaster fame.
This sovereign is a stand-alone investment piece. And for the collector looking to acquire a set of the eight portraits that make up Australia's sovereign series, it is the perfect acquisition. Quality that cannot be improved upon.
A complete portrait set of Australian sovereigns involves eight coins.
1. Queen Victoria Sydney Mint Type 1 (1855 - 1856)
2. Queen Victoria Sydney Mint Type 11 (1857 - 1870)
3. Queen Victoria Young Head (1871 - 1887)
4. Queen Victoria Jubilee (1887 - 1893).
5. Queen Victoria Veiled Head (1893 - 1901)
6. King Edward VII (1902 - 1910)
7. King George V Large Head (1911 - 1928)
8. King George V Small Head (1929 - 1931)